The procurement [1946] of stainless steel agitators to stir the cheese curd; the introduction [1950] of Colby cheese; and the purchase of the factory's first bulk milk truck, enabled Millbank Cheese and Butter's fortunes and those of its employees to rise steadily. Even a temporary setback from a fire in 1961, that destroyed the older original portion of the factory, could not impede its growth.

In 1972, Millbank Cheese became the first Canadian factory to have an automated cheese-maker, imported from Europe. This "cheddar master" did it all: it stirred the cheese curd; it sliced, matted, and turned the cheddar slabs; and then it milled the cheddar slabs into curds, which could be sold as curds or pressed into cheese blocks.

Delivery

Cheese Delivery in 1942

Between 1980 and 1983, office and retail space were created; an expanded warehouse added storage capacity with enough space to store 500,000 kg of cheese. This warehouse capacity was necessary because cheese production would reach two million kilograms annually by 1984-in both traditional 90 kg "rounds" as well as the new 240 kg boxes (later cut into more convenient 20 kg blocks for retail sale. When one adds in one million kg of butter production, it is easy to see that Millbank Cheese and Butter was the economic engine of the village, employing, at its peak, 35 full-time employees with annual sales over $12,000,000.

mural

Millbank Cheese Factory Mural

The factory achieved national and international notoriety for what might be termed its "boutique behemoths"-giant cheddar cheeses specially created for exhibition in Canada and abroad.

NEXT

PREVIOUS